Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 9

Day 9, my Thai Culture class went on a field trip to a well-known temple in Chiang Mai. I believe the name of this temple is Wat Doi Saquet (and I probably spelled that wrong but that's what it sounds like) and it was beautiful! It was super hot that day, so less fun, but still a gorgeous place. Buddhism is very interesting - I grew up in one religion, and haven't had much exposure to other religions, so while I am very settled in my beliefs, I have enjoyed learning about Buddhism and its history. Again, apologies for the out of order pictures. I'm working on it, and if you have any tips, let me know! All the pictures are uploaded from my phone, if that makes any difference. Seriously, I should probably learn how to use the internet at some point...
In this picture, it's hard to get a good idea of the actual size of this Buddha image, but I'd estimate about 40 feet tall? I could be really wrong though, my estimating skills are NOT something I'm known for... Anyways, it was really big. And gold.
Scenery from the temple
I had dinner (a weird noodle/pork/sweet/syrupy combination - not my favorite) with Lookpla and Ann! They're great :)
The Chedi - where the Buddha relic is housed at this temple. Actually, every temple with a relic has a chedi, this one is just the one at this particular wat (temple)
On the way back from the temple, the sky was ridiculous and the view pretty incredible. Note the motorbike - I think there's literally a million of them in Chiang Mai.
A Buddha image
I can't figure out what this plant is, but it was at the temple.
This picture is for my Other Mother - gorgeous gorgeous orchids.
Inside the main temple. Those monks are wax, which I didn't find out till after, so it weirded me out a little that they were sitting so eerily still...
I think this is one of the places where the ashes of an important monk are kept? Maybe like a crypt? I was too busy taking pictures to listen to the explanation...
I loved this fountain.
A Bodhi tree - significant in Buddhism because it's the kind of tree that the Buddha was sitting under when he achieved his enlightenment. The colorful scarves and whatnot on the tree are from a celebration that recently took place.
The Buddha image from the first picture...maybe a better idea of the size? Also my classmates.
Same, minus classmates.
The Bodhi tree and courtyard.
I just really love this picture...I think it's the tree and the sky and all the shapes.
In the song tao (red truck) on the way back to the dorm.
Inside one of the smaller "side" places
More Bodhi trees...the leaves are pretty big, and they are kindof majestic in their way.
Chedi, with Ajan Brooke (our teacher - Ajan is used when addressing teachers) and Keilee
Another for my Other Mother
I think this is a rose.
I love the colors - the being there is an important character in the Bhuddist story - I'm pretty sure he was a bad guy, but I don't 100% remember this explanation either. It's in my notes... :)
This was a Chinese 'shrine' at the temple
More orchids. Suaey mak maa :) (very beautiful)
A view of the mountains on the way back - the city is basically surrounded with mountains. 
The same Chinese temple from before, different angle.
More mountain views on the way back
This is the beginning of the entire temple complex - Giant Buddha image is up the stairs on the left.
Ajan Brooke and Jackie. Oh, and the chedi...
The view from the Chedi - That's Chiang Mai!
Classmates! L-R Malaiya, Jackie, Mustafa, Keilee, Molly
I am adept at looking in the wrong direction for pictures, as proved here. The flower in my hair is plumeria, my new FAVORITE. It smells so so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment